Thursday, August 8, 2013

Eleanor Miller- Noctural Shine

I really enjoyed this work by Eleanor Miller. I really like the way she is able to sucessfully combine the abstract background with the realistic imagery of the bird in the foreground. The painting has many translucent areas and layers that she builds up to create the finished work. The background is suggestive of a swamp or a wetland of some sort, and even reminds me of mold. She did a great job of causing the viewer to think about the birds environment, suggesting water in the drips and spaltters.  When looking at it, I realized that her white splatter really ties the piece together as well as the tiny spot of orange in the foreground. These tiny details really make the painting successful. I really like this piece in particular because it reminds me of my own work and its cool to see a professional artist doing things like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment