Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Spirit of Enterprise

The Spirit of Enterprise

by 

Jacques Lipchitz

Every Saturday this summer that I have been in Philly I’ve gone on a long run along Kelly Drive.  Every morning I run it is still dark outside so it is hard to see a lot of the artwork that is along the river but one statue that has always caught my eye is The Spirit of Enterprise by Jacques Lipchitz.  It is this massive muscular pioneer that is representing constrictive enterprise.  What caught my eye was the way the light was creating these gorgeous shadows on the statue.  It took me a few passes to fully see the whole sculpture because I couldn’t just stop running and look at it. 
I was always interested in the gigantic back foot and leg, which was the easiest part to see in the darkness.  I always thought about how much power it is representing and how I am in fact using my legs to power myself along the trail.  I finally had to look up what the sculpture is titled and see who created it.  I was taken by surprise to read the quote by Theodore Roosevelt that is inscribed on the pedestal,

"Our nation, glorious in youth and strength, looks into the future with fearless and eager eyes, as vigorous as a young man to run a race."

  I thought it fits perfectly to the fact that I run past it at least once a week. 

If you have a chance to venture up the trail take a moment to view this bronze statue.  

No comments:

Post a Comment