Monday, August 5, 2013

First Friday













On Friday, my husband and I visited several galleries.  I decided to blog about a comparison of our favorite paintings in one gallery.  Regrettably,  I did not get a chance to write down the name of the gallery and the artists (sorry!). My husband's favorite painting was the painting on the top.  When I asked to explain why he stated, "I like the bright colors." The painting was oil on canvas and had expressive, unorganized brush marks.  The paint was not thick, but rather washes of bright colors.  My favorite painting was the blue work with a red box on the left hand side in the bottom picture.  The oil paint was thick and textured with the exemption of the red boxes.  I enjoyed the relationship of the colors and the structured simplicity of the painting.
Our choices of favored paintings were very different.  My husband preferred the unorganized, chaotic, expressive work while I preferred the structured, organized, and simple piece.  If I may psychoanalyze for a moment....my husband preferred a painting that is exactly the opposite of his personality - he is very structured, organized, and simple. I chose a painting that is exactly the opposite of my personality- I am very unorganized, chaotic, and expressive.  Could what we find beautiful in a painting be similar to what we look for in a mate?

1 comment: