Thursday, July 11, 2013

I went to the Brandywine River Museum last weekend and I was especially struck by this piece by Jamie Wyeth. I had seen prints of it before and was not particularly impressed, however seeing it in person it was exceptional. The face of the pig is playful and almost comical. The layering of colors on the pig  and the amount of colors in it combined with the detailed brushstrokes makes it extremely visually stimulating. I stood there and looked at the brush strokes for a very long time. I was interrupted by the security guard who shared with me a funny story about how this pig was left alone when Jamie was painting in his friends barn and ate Jamie Wyeths oil paints! They are supposed to be toxic to animals so he was sure the animal would die, but she never did. ( She did have technicolor poop for a few days however)! When the time came for the pig to go the slaughterhouse, Jamie had developed a relationship with the pig and bought her off his friend and created this painting. I enjoy the smooth texture of the background combined with the extreme detail in the subject. In this painting, the pig is  lifesize making the viewer want to reach out and touch it. The playfulness of this work combined with the mastery of skill is truly one to see in person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment