Monday, July 29, 2013







This weekend I was in Rehoboth Beach, DE.  I decided to look at the gallery scene in this beach town.  Most galleries I visited had "kitschy" art with the obvious intention to simply sell.  However, I found one gallery with a show I enjoyed.  The gallery was Gallery 50 with a show by Javier Brewster Brockmann.  Brockmann's nine paintings were all completed on recycled metal.  I was surprised to read that the artist was painting on metal because you would assume that oil paint on metal would look like it was sitting on top of a surface.  Howbeit, Brockmann's paintings looked like they were a part of the metal.  It was very hard to tell what was painted on the metal and what was simply the patina of the metal. The subject matter of his paintings were nostalgic: baby blocks, balloons, crayons, a monopoly car, paddle ball, and toy robots.  I felt that all the paintings were easy to approach and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment